issues and ideas

Thanks for using Furkot – A Road Trip Planner

Furkot has a lot of features. It’s possible the one you are looking for is already available and described in Furkot help

If you have any problems, questions or if you want to propose a new feature don’t hesitate to email us at trips@furkot.com.

How can we improve Furkot?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Hours and days of operation

When I review my trip I notice that some of the places that I am planning on visiting are closed either certain days of the week or time of day. It would be nice to be able to have a field for open time, close time, and check boxes for when they are closed.
    Then Furkot would compare when it is scheduled and provide some type of notification that the place is not open.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Change 'Fold this stop details' Icon from and 'X' to a dash "-"

Basically copy the idea close, minimize, maximize buttons on program window.

Using an 'X' make me think I will be removing the item. When my expectation would be to minimize the view on the details.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestions.
        We attempt to use ‘+’ for ‘add’, ‘-’ for ‘remove/delete’ and ‘x’ for close, but we are not entirely happy with ‘x’ for ‘fold’ either.
        We’ll try to come up with something better there.
        We’ll keep you posted. Thanks for using Furkot.

• Highlight stops for a selected day

Minor enhancement: when you "hover" over a day in the Plan drawer, it would be nice to highlight all the related stops in the map.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Admin →
        • Show full list of imported places even if not visible on the current map view

Having places show up or not show up in the Find drawer is dependent on whether or not they are visible on the current map view, and that's a problem when using the Find Drawer to bring in a large collections of POIs.
          It forces users to move the map until the place they remember having already imported shows up, just to be able to select it in the list, for instance to add one (or a few) to the current trip. This is backwards. I understand why you do this, and it's OK for finding & adding specific POIs…

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll see what we can do.

Meanwhile if you have specific places in a file that you’d like to add to Furkot, you can edit the file to only contain those places before importing it into the Find drawer.

Alternatively, instead of importing into the Find drawer, you can import a file as a trip and specify the Matching phrase to filter desired places.

• Custom (user-furnished) POI icons

As you mentioned two years ago:
            "Custom user-defined icons is a neat idea."
            https://help.furkot.com/features/warnings-colors.html#comment-1644434131

But it's not just a NEAT idea, custom (user-furnished) icons for imported POIs really more of an essential feature when working with large POI collections, which you've recently made easier by allowing Garmin-comatible .csv files to be imported directly.

This feature would be especially useful for the logo icons of national chains (WalMart, Target, Flying J, Pilot, TA, etc), which is exactly what most large POI collections consist of.

The reason is simple: The largest group of High Frequency Traveler who might use your software aren't…

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Admin →

When importing a file you can now select an icon that will be used for each place that doesn’t have one defined in the file. That should help with importing large collections of places of the same kind (like rest stops or gas stations)

• New filter: POIs only. Same option for printing (light mode)

Filter:
              - Allow to display POIs only (no night stops)

Printing:
              - New option "Include POIs only (no night stops)"
              - Light mode (No details like distances and time)

Those features are great when presenting the trip to friends & co. Or to have a fast global vision of it.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • "Filter Displayed Stops" -> "Optimize For" allows BOTH "Navigation" & "Advanced Use"

The "Filter Displayed Stops" -> "Optimize For" pref allows BOTH "Navigation" AND "Advanced Use" to be selected (by selecting "Advanced Use" first, then "Navigation"), with a result that seems inconsistent with the intent of either setting.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Admin →

Optimize for Advanced Use is intended for experienced Furkot users. Optimize for Navigation is intended to help navigating the trip. The options are not mutually exclusive: switching Advanced Use on in conjunction with optimizing for Navigation shows more settings that are relevant to navigating your trip, for instance the elevation graph.

That said we’ll see what we can do to make the purpose of each option apparent.

• Infowindow on clicking stops on published map

I tend to put description of a stop with things to do. However, when publishing the trip, the stops are not clickable. It would be nice to add infowindow there to show the description.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for the suggestion.

We are planning to make tripshots more interactive. We probably won’t display the infowindow but handle clicks on stops on the tripshot map similarly to trip map: by highlighting the clicked stop in the itinerary and automatically scrolling to it if not visible.

• Time Zone overlay

A Time Zone overlay is a must for long distance travelers. Add it to Map Views -> "Map Overlays"

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Admin →
                    • Need to be able to organize stops by category

This is mainly for sorting POIs by type. So the list of stops/POIs needs to have category header(s) that allow sorting when clicked on.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Timezone not working correctly

I just noticed that the timezone in Page, Arizona is not correct.
                        In summertime the timezone in Page should be the same as in the rest of Arizona!
                        In current version the timezone of Monument Valley (Navajo) is correct because they are using the summer time.
                        Page isn't using the summer time - but according to Furkot it is.

5 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

We have fixed the timezone in Page, AZ. The change will take effect for newly added stops and whenever Furkot recalculates timezone for existing stops.

The fix applies to Page, AZ but not necessarily to places in it’s neighborhood some of which may still show incorrect timezone as explained in the comments below.

If you are not actively planning a trip that contains a stop in Page, AZ, Furkot may not recalculate its timezone. In that case you can make a small change in the preceding stop – for instance change it to overnight and back to a regular stop – and Furkot will recalculate the timezone.

Thank you for helping us find and fix this problem.

Thank you for sharing your trip. You are right – the timezone for Page, AZ is not correct.

Furkot uses a 3rd party database to find timezones for stops – we’ll work with…

• 1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            1 comment  ·  Admin →

When viewing a trip without Internet connection Furkot will show you the list and details of your trip stops.
                            Unfortunately Google Maps API terms of service don’t permit us to cache map data and thus Furkot won’t show you the map when offline.
                            Occasionally you may see map fragments if the browser caches them independently from Furkot.
                            We are planning to support offline maps in the future if Google changes its ToS for maps API or we change the maps provider.

• Display transportation mode on published map

Display the vehicle icon on middle point of the route to give the viewer a better view of the trip duration.

2 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

The trip travel mode is passed on to a tripshot and used when a new trip is created from the tripshot. Since we have the information we most definitely could display it.

Thank you for the suggestion.

• Where can I find similar trips planned by other users?

I am planning a trip. It would be nice to look for existing routes people created and use their ideas in my trip.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Trips publicly shared with Furkot community can be explored in the Find drawer under the category ‘Scenic byways and backroads’: https://help.furkot.com/features/points-of-interest.html#scenic-byways.
                                If you want to see only trips planned on Furkot, select Furkot as the only provider at the bottom of the drawer.
                                The list is not curated so YMMV. We are planning to feature best trips shared with Furkot community at folio.furkot.com in the future.

• Personal Alternate Routes

I am planning a trip with 5 people across 3 states thats going to be about a month long. The fun part about the trip, is we all like different things, and as much as I love my brother, lets face it, I don't love him THAT much. We want to branch off and do our own thing every now and then. So the scenario is, I take my BMW GS and my brother takes his CBR1100. If I route the trip and see a good patch of offroad, im going to route that. Now I share the trip with…

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  1 comment  ·  Admin →
                                • Export to ics

It would be a nice feature.
                                  1.) Color the hotels in an extra color.
                                  2.) Not exporting the waypoints which i have only because a dragged the trip to use an other road (because the have no informations!)
                                  3.) The timezones are not correct, i export two waypoints, one 9:00 in Texas, the other 8:30 in New Mexico (this waypoint is 9:39 in Texas time)-> in the ics, the New Mexica waypoint comes first!

5 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for using Furkot and thanks for writing to us.
                                    1. As far as we know iCalendar format does not provide for specifying event’s color. If you have any info about a non-standard extensions which would allow that let us know and we’ll look into it.
                                    2. Yup. Pass-through points should not be exported. Sorry about it. We’ll let you know when it’s fixed.
                                    3. Furkot actually follows iCalendar standard here. We export date and times as ‘date with local time’ – in other words if you are supposed to be in New Mexico at 8:39 that’s what your clock will be showing and that’s what your calendar should contain. And yes some clients will show that event before 9AM event in Texas – especially if they ignore the position of the event (which we are also exporting). Let us know how you are using your ICS file (which calendar…

• Display time segments on route using different colors

You currently have the ability to colorize day and inbound/outbound segments, but it would be helpful if I could see where I am at various parts of the day such as hour segments. It would be easier to plan activities, lunches, bathroom breaks, and dog walking for example.
                                    I know I can hover my mouse over the route and it will give me the expected time, but that is looking for a needle in a haystack.

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting idea. Thanks. We were also thinking about adding more types of automatic stops for food/rest/dog walking breaks but this may actually be more helpful.
                                      Please keep in mind that the times along the road are merely an approximation: if you drive along the highway they are probably OK. If you have far away stops with various types of roads in between Furkot can be wildly off. When in doubt add more stops to help us along.

• Export directly to Dropbox and Google Drive

I would like to export to Dropbox, Google drive and/or my Android device file manager. I can import from all of these.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion.

The easiest way to export GPX/KML files to Android device is running Furkot directly on your phone or tablet and exporting files as needed. After you click Export you should be able to select an app registered to handle GPX files (for example OsmAnd) or to save a file so that is visible in Android file manager for later use.

https://help.furkot.com/features/mobile-apps.html

At the risk of stating the obvious, exporting to Dropbox is of course possible from any computer that has Dropbox client installed: all browsers provide for Saving exported file to Dropbox sync folders.

That said – we might at some point allow for exports to the likes of Dropbox/Google Drive/Box etc. directly – that is without downloading them through the browser.

• Start location lost

Somehow my start location was deleted. I cannot add it back and now my start location is actually the stop at the end of the first day. When I try to add it back, it does not go back to the correct starting position and I cannot drag t there.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Automatic adjustment of fuel stops based on your present level of fuel

How about the fuel stops have the ability to automatically adjust based on you saying you have 50% or 75% or whatever left of fuel at the start of a trip or leg, etc.?

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. It’s probably worth mentioning that Furkot already gives you a similar option. You can add fuel stations manually from the EAT drawer. Adding a gas station (or converting an existing stop to a gas station) adjusts the placing of the following gas stations automatically.
                                            In other words if you start your trip with 1/4 of a tank, add the first station in 1/4 of your range and the rest of them will be put in proper places.
                                            Make sure to switch the Search mode to ‘along the road’ and use the yellow hover label to quickly check for the best place to add the first station.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

issues and ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base