issues and ideas

Thanks for using Furkot – A Road Trip Planner

Furkot has a lot of features. It’s possible the one you are looking for is already available and described in Furkot help

If you have any problems, questions or if you want to propose a new feature don’t hesitate to email us at trips@furkot.com.

How can we improve Furkot?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Ability to track costs

It would be useful to be able to track all costs for the trip: hotels, restaurants, gas, etc. And to have at the end the total cost and the breakdown by category.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)

We are thinking about adding some kind of trip budgeting functionality. After all we do have mileage, gas price and hotel price info.

Until then what we heard people doing for budgeting is to export the planned trip to CSV (see:
      https://help.furkot.com/how-to/export.html#driving-log) and then use spreadsheet to add a column for gas cost, and another for entry fees etc. for each stage of the trip. Both Google and Microsoft have free online spreadsheet applications that can import Furkot’s driving log and are more than capable of handling the math part. The trick is to add any stop cost info in the stop description: since it gets exported along with the trip data and you can see it when using the spreadsheet app.

Thanks for the suggestion: we will keep you posted.

• Diesel Fuel Stations

Not all gas stations have diesel fuel, so an icon for diesel would be helpful to filter only those with diesel.

21 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Not sure we have enough information at the moment to make it work, but at the minimum Furkot could show which stations do claim to sell diesel fuel. Separate category and support for automatic planning will come next.

• Automatically schedule lunch stops

Unless I'm missing something, adding a lunch stop and adjusting the trip for the stopover is very awkward and the adjustment seems to ignore specified start/stop times. It would be much easier if you could specify up front that you'd like to stop for lunch after X hours of driving and the planner would then make suggestions for where to stop. As it is I'm eyeballing an approximate lunch point, picking a place, finding I've mis-estimated, having to find another spot, etc., and then the planner doesn't seem to pay strict attention to the day's endpoint when it re-plans the…

17 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Add Rest Areas to the Find Drawer

Highway rest areas make good waypoints. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to find them currently. Maybe add this option to the Find Drawer?

16 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Calculate departure to meet set arrival time

I know when I want to arrive somewhere, I don't care when I start traveling. It seems there is no way to build a trip and have Furkot automatically figure out what time I need to leave in order to make it happen.

12 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Stops should have time settings for availability

Sometimes the planner will suggest that we stop at say the Smithsonian at nine-thirty at night. This isn't all that helpful.

What would be nice is the ability to assign an acceptable range of time to a stop -- not (just) a duration. If we could set 9am to 5pm as the range for the Smithsonian, then the planner could let us know that we won't arrive at the right time and help us change our plans.

11 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Makes sense. For some stops (museums, parks, restaurants) we could even try to guess reasonable defaults.

BTW: in current version you can set ‘Start a day’ and ‘End a day’ values (check the `Trip` drawer). If you set them to ‘9am’ and ‘5pm’ Furkot will attempt to schedule all the stops accordingly. The drawback is that it will also schedule automatic overnight stops, but depending on your trip manipulating those values may make planning easier.

• Print information about skipped stops

I would like to add points of interest (restaurants, parks, museums, etc.) along my travel path but which I do not have a confirmed stop for. Since the stop is not confirmed, I do not want the route to change to accommodate these POIs, but I still want them to be part of the printed trip.

The "skip" option for the POIs is a great way to add POIs to the trip without changing the routing, but there is no way to force the skipped POIs to be printed with the Trip.

8 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Mass transit / public transport

Can you add mass transit choices (bus, subway, light rail, trains) as trip and route types?

8 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Yup: we are thinking about it. We need to figure out how to access reliable mass transport time tables, but this is certainly something we would love to add.

• Weather Forecast Overlay

I see that in the Stop details there is a weather forecast and a link to WU and that you can add a current conditions overlay to the map.

What would be extra useful is a weather forecast overlay for the planned route. In the Pacific NW the weather is highly variable - well...different kinds of rain anyways :) - and I'll choose a route and direction of travel based on the weather.

In the past I've had to switch between my route planner and a browser with weather forecast tabs for each location. Furkot is already so much better…

7 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Integrate Furkot trip plan to Tripit itinerary

I use Tripit to plan my flights and hotels during any trip. However, I would like that Tripit could pull the trip plan (stops, places to see, etc.) from Furkot, so that I would be able not only to scheduled flights and booked hotels, but also see where I plan to go and what I plan to see during the trip.

7 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Optimize Stops feature

If you are creating a multiple waypoint route, Microsoft Streets and Trips has an optimize stops button that will reorder the stops to increase efficiency of the route.

7 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Furkot optimizes the route as you plan in without asking users to press any special ‘Optimize’ stops button. Whenever you press Save to add stop, Furkot finds an optimal place for it (if you don’t want that you can press Append and not Save).

You can also press Skip and then Visit on any stop which will cause Furkot to place it in the optimal place for your trip.

And finally you can export your trip as simple KML (with daily ‘routes’ and ‘tracks’ options checked off) and then re-import it – during Import Furkot will ask if you want your stops re-ordered for an optimized/shortest trip.

That said: maybe we should give folks the option to reset the trip ordering and automatically re-add all the stops. Let’s leave it here and see what people think about it.

• Make an awesome print feature!

I know printed maps are old school, but sometimes they are the most useful thing. The furkot print feature as it is now does not really work, or it does not work well enough to use.

Here is what would be great:

- Some way to print the trip out on multiple pages, with a user-selected zoom factor to use for all pages. So maybe you zoom in to the level of detail you want to see, then choose print and you get a series of pages printed out at that zoom factor, showing the whole trip or some selected…

7 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

There is a limited control over the area of map printed: Furkot printed map is a rendering of the displayed map in the same scale with the upper left corner match between the screen and the printed page. Since dimensions of the screen and page are not equal, you may see less or more (in the landscape orientation) of the map on the printout compared to the screen. You can zoom and pan the map to have a different part printed.

While Furkot offers only basic printing it doesn’t hold your trip data hostage. You can export your trip in a variety of formats:
                            https://help.furkot.com/how-to/export.html

If you find an application or a service that supports printed map with the features you like let us know and we’ll be happy to integrate with it.

• Add more campgrounds and show amenities

Can you integrate inventory from a website like RV Parky to locate RV campgrounds along the route and provide full information on available amenities. Include a link to the campground website for full details and reservations.

Furkot now shows campgrounds from state and national parks in US and only links to ReserveAmerica and Recreation.gov sites.

6 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Showing more information about campground amenities is a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

We checked the RV Parky website and it looks promising.

It would help if you (and other Furkot users voting for this issue) dropped them a note to suggest they team up with Furkot.

While ReserveAmerica and Recreation.gov cover only US national and state parks, Furkot is also using Google Places to look for campgrounds – it’s the last icon in the Campgrounds category in the Sleep drawer – make sure you have it on.

What other websites for campground reservation do you use? Please let us know in the comments.

• Stops every N hours

Automatically schedule stops every N hours for breaks.

6 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Not sure how useful it would be to just add arbitrary stops in the middle of nowhere, but we think it would be useful if Furkot could automatically find and suggest rest areas – see: http://furkot.uservoice.com/forums/134943-issues-and-ideas/suggestions/9216795-add-rest-areas-to-the-find-drawer

There is a related idea for periodic stops based on milage that you may want to vote for: https://furkot.uservoice.com/forums/134943-issues-and-ideas/suggestions/11015136-allow-me-to-specify-a-mileage-range-per-segment-a

• Gas stations not always found for fuel stops

Fuel stops currently say that they can't find a gas station in the area even when there is onenearby. They should be able to find one before your range and then recalculate the future stops so that it can find some stops no matter what. You may have to plan to re-fuel more often but it would be worth it.

6 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

You’re right. We set a very short radius in which we search for gas stations for automatically scheduled fuel stops. We will be working to fix that.

In the meantime please keep in mind that Furkot respects the manual fueling stops that you add to the trip. If it turns out we cannot find an appropriate gas station automatically, open the Eat drawer, click the Gas Station button, look for a gas station somewhere along the road, add it to the trip and watch how Furkot recalculates the remaining portion of the trip.

More about refueling stops here: https://help.furkot.com/how-to/avoid-running-out-of-gas.html

• Show more apartments and private rooms

I would like to see more choices for apartments and private rooms.
                                  AirBnB and VRBO are my main go-to's for places to stay while on vacation.

5 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have added apartment and private rooms from the HomeAway family of websites (including VBRO) but unfortunately had to remove AirBnB and others because they terminated their affiliate programs and/or API access.

We are trying to re-establish access. It’ll help if users interested in seeing places from AirBnB (or others) in Furkot contacted them with this suggestion.

Furkot displays AirBnB properties on the map in addition to Roomorama and more traditional Bed-and-Breakfast.com. You also have a link to HomeAway for more options at the bottom of the Sleep drawer in the ‘Apartments and private rooms’ section.

We’ll add properties from HouseTrip shortly.

We are also working with HomeAway Developer’s Platform to display HomeAway and VRBO properties on the map and in the Sleep drawer.

FlipKey is another service we partnered with and are working to integrate.

If you would like to see apartments and private rooms from yet another…

• Warn users when automatic stops are added

I would suggest to give more visibility to users when automatic stops are added.

It may be quite confusing to see new stops introduced in your plan whereas you have no clues to explain where they come from.

E.g.:
                                    - I would add a global notification as soon as stop is automatically added. Maybe with the ability do deactivate this feature there (see https://furkot.uservoice.com/forums/134943-issues-and-ideas/suggestions/6898052-disable-automatic-stops)
                                    - I would mark these stops with specific and explicit characteristics (e.g. small icon over the stop icon + message explaining why the stop is there)

5 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

I agree automatic stops can be are confusing – we have been working to make them less so. Your suggestions are most appreciated.

We are planning to add a feedback when Furkot recalculates a trip – notification about scheduling automatic stops probably fits there.

There is a small change in the pipeline: automatic stops are displayed on the map as translucent – their icons will be displayed the same way in the PLAN drawer.

There are two types of automatic stops: fuel stations and overnight lodgings. Fuel stations are controlled by a switch and a distance, while lodgings – by day timing and lodging preferences. There is a way to switch off automatic overnight stops by setting start and stop a day times to the same value reflecting the situation that one wants to drive round the clock and therefore overnight stops are not needed.

These help articles explain automatic…

• Recognize GPS

I would like to have the ability for the system to recognize the GPS attached and automatically load the trip onto it. Similar to the way basecamp handles uploads

5 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Export to ics

It would be a nice feature.
                                        1.) Color the hotels in an extra color.
                                        2.) Not exporting the waypoints which i have only because a dragged the trip to use an other road (because the have no informations!)
                                        3.) The timezones are not correct, i export two waypoints, one 9:00 in Texas, the other 8:30 in New Mexico (this waypoint is 9:39 in Texas time)-> in the ics, the New Mexica waypoint comes first!

5 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for using Furkot and thanks for writing to us.
                                          1. As far as we know iCalendar format does not provide for specifying event’s color. If you have any info about a non-standard extensions which would allow that let us know and we’ll look into it.
                                          2. Yup. Pass-through points should not be exported. Sorry about it. We’ll let you know when it’s fixed.
                                          3. Furkot actually follows iCalendar standard here. We export date and times as ‘date with local time’ – in other words if you are supposed to be in New Mexico at 8:39 that’s what your clock will be showing and that’s what your calendar should contain. And yes some clients will show that event before 9AM event in Texas – especially if they ignore the position of the event (which we are also exporting). Let us know how you are using your ICS file (which calendar…

• Timezone not working correctly

I just noticed that the timezone in Page, Arizona is not correct.
                                          In summertime the timezone in Page should be the same as in the rest of Arizona!
                                          In current version the timezone of Monument Valley (Navajo) is correct because they are using the summer time.
                                          Page isn't using the summer time - but according to Furkot it is.

5 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

We have fixed the timezone in Page, AZ. The change will take effect for newly added stops and whenever Furkot recalculates timezone for existing stops.

The fix applies to Page, AZ but not necessarily to places in it’s neighborhood some of which may still show incorrect timezone as explained in the comments below.

If you are not actively planning a trip that contains a stop in Page, AZ, Furkot may not recalculate its timezone. In that case you can make a small change in the preceding stop – for instance change it to overnight and back to a regular stop – and Furkot will recalculate the timezone.

Thank you for helping us find and fix this problem.

Thank you for sharing your trip. You are right – the timezone for Page, AZ is not correct.

Furkot uses a 3rd party database to find timezones for stops – we’ll work with…

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

issues and ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base