issues and ideas

Thanks for using Furkot – A Road Trip Planner

Furkot has a lot of features. It’s possible the one you are looking for is already available and described in Furkot help

If you have any problems, questions or if you want to propose a new feature don’t hesitate to email us at trips@furkot.com.

How can we improve Furkot?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Where can I find similar trips planned by other users?

I am planning a trip. It would be nice to look for existing routes people created and use their ideas in my trip.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Trips publicly shared with Furkot community can be explored in the Find drawer under the category ‘Scenic byways and backroads’: https://help.furkot.com/features/points-of-interest.html#scenic-byways.
      If you want to see only trips planned on Furkot, select Furkot as the only provider at the bottom of the drawer.
      The list is not curated so YMMV. We are planning to feature best trips shared with Furkot community at folio.furkot.com in the future.

• Timezone not working correctly

I just noticed that the timezone in Page, Arizona is not correct.
      In summertime the timezone in Page should be the same as in the rest of Arizona!
      In current version the timezone of Monument Valley (Navajo) is correct because they are using the summer time.
      Page isn't using the summer time - but according to Furkot it is.

5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

We have fixed the timezone in Page, AZ. The change will take effect for newly added stops and whenever Furkot recalculates timezone for existing stops.

The fix applies to Page, AZ but not necessarily to places in it’s neighborhood some of which may still show incorrect timezone as explained in the comments below.

If you are not actively planning a trip that contains a stop in Page, AZ, Furkot may not recalculate its timezone. In that case you can make a small change in the preceding stop – for instance change it to overnight and back to a regular stop – and Furkot will recalculate the timezone.

Thank you for helping us find and fix this problem.

Thank you for sharing your trip. You are right – the timezone for Page, AZ is not correct.

Furkot uses a 3rd party database to find timezones for stops – we’ll work with…

• Travel by plane not possible

Hi there,

I love your tool ! Could you add a feature to define a segment as traveled by airplane? Airplane is not part of your transportation methods, is there a reason? Also, it would be nice to identify visually on the map when a segment is traveled by a different method. So if I walk, it could be a dotted line, if I travel by car a full line, by airplane a thicker line, etc.

Thank you

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Admin →

We have added a dedicated ‘flight’ travel mode. It is shown on the map as an arc.
          -————————
          We actually have ‘Other’ travel mode that can be used to plan plane, train and ferry segments. It’s represented by a flying saucer (sadly we are a bit ahead of times on that one).

Add 2 airports, switch travel mode on the route between them to Other, set the flight time, and optionally – change the color and the shape of the line (yes – you can drag it). You can also lock the arrival to the airport and have Furkot warn you if you are at the risk of missing your plane.

More info:
          https://help.furkot.com/features/route-details.html

That said we are planning to add more specific plane, train and ferry modes with additional features. We’ll keep you posted.

• Introduce Primary/Secondary stops, or Stop Groups

I'd like to distinguish the main stops of my itinerary from others that are just additional places to visit around these stops.

E.g. let's say I want to visit Yosemite and I plan to stop at 5 places in the park, I would find better to see a main stop "Yosemite" in my itinerary, and then see "Glacier Point", "Half Dome", etc. at a second level, under this Yosemite stop.

This would make the itinerary overview much easier to read, in the map and in the drawer. An option could show/hide these secondary stops on demand.

At this time, I…

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion.

We have added filtering stops by tags that you can use as an alternative to your workaround to group stops.

If you assign a tag – let’s say ‘primary’ – to your main stops, you can then select the new filter by tags in the ‘Display Stops’ option under the Filter in the Plan drawer and type this tag – ‘primary’ – in the field displayed at the bottom of the Plan drawer. Furkot will display only stops with this tag.

Clear the tag or change to a different filter and Furkot will display all stops again.

Stop tags are displayed here:

https://help.furkot.com/features/stop-details.html#name-description-tags

Filter description – to be updated shortly – here:

https://help.furkot.com/features/plan-buttons.html

• Add more campgrounds and show amenities

Can you integrate inventory from a website like RV Parky to locate RV campgrounds along the route and provide full information on available amenities. Include a link to the campground website for full details and reservations.

Furkot now shows campgrounds from state and national parks in US and only links to ReserveAmerica and Recreation.gov sites.

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Showing more information about campground amenities is a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

We checked the RV Parky website and it looks promising.

It would help if you (and other Furkot users voting for this issue) dropped them a note to suggest they team up with Furkot.

While ReserveAmerica and Recreation.gov cover only US national and state parks, Furkot is also using Google Places to look for campgrounds – it’s the last icon in the Campgrounds category in the Sleep drawer – make sure you have it on.

What other websites for campground reservation do you use? Please let us know in the comments.

• Indication that session has timed out

When my session times out, the UI is still sort of functional, but not completely. For example, attempting to export the trip, in any format, results in a new, empty browser window. Refreshing the original Furkot window gives the sign-in screen, but it took me quite a while to figure out what was going on. A more forceful "Your session has expired" message would be useful.

0 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Admin →

We have just added such indication – when your trip planning session has been idle for a while, Furkot will switch your trip to a view-only mode and display a ‘reload’ button above the map.

You are absolutely correct that export option continues to be enabled in that case and will behave exactly as you describe. It’s an oversight – we need to fix it. Thank you for reporting the issue.

• Integrate Furkot trip plan to Tripit itinerary

I use Tripit to plan my flights and hotels during any trip. However, I would like that Tripit could pull the trip plan (stops, places to see, etc.) from Furkot, so that I would be able not only to scheduled flights and booked hotels, but also see where I plan to go and what I plan to see during the trip.

7 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Add hostels in US and Canada -- and anywhere else you can

Hostels -- American Youth Hostels, Hosteling International and others, are great places to stay, both economically and socially. A bed in a dorm room runs anywhere from $20-$40 a night, and many hostels have private rooms, too. No more spending the evening alone in a motel room, but a chance to socialize with other travelers in the common room with TV and internet. There is always a large, very useful kitchen and refridgerators to store food. Locals can give advice and info.

I've used hostels all over NZ, Tasmania, and British Columbia and AK.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Admin →

Furkot displays hostels on the map and in the Sleep drawer using Booking.com inventory.

We also facilitate booking hostels via partnership with HostelWorld. After you add an overnight stop to your trip, you will see a hostels reservation option (looks like a bunk bed) that, when clicked, will show a HostelWorld button that you can use to start searching and booking hostels.

Neither options is ideal and we are working with several hostel networks including HostelWorld and Hostelz.com (both feature hostels from American Youth Hostels / Hostelling International among others) to display their properties.

You can help us by contacting their support to let them know that, as Furkot user, you’d like see their properties in Furkot:
                    https://vsecure.hostelworld.com/queryform
                    https://secure.hostelz.com/contact/contact-form

If you like to see hostels offered by your favorite network on the map in Furkot please let us know in the comments.

• Give more visibility for errors/warnings

When I first tried Furkot, I gave up after some minutes because I had an issues with my stops and thought the UI where totally buggy: stops were in red and no route was traced for the next stops. I was really lost.

Actually, I had just missed the warning displayed at the bottom of the stop.
                    But it was not obvious for me that the red icon meant there was an error visible at the bottom of the stop.

I think it's really important to prevent users from being lost in such a situation.

I would suggest:

- to…

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

All good points.

So far we’ve made one change following your suggestion and placed the warning at the top of stop details so it is more visible.

Thank you for taking time to suggest improvements.

• Show hotel rates according to planned trip dates

Would it be possible to show the hotel rates according to the planned trip dates?

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Furkot shows actual hotel (and other lodging accommodations) rates per trip dates in the Sleep drawer (displayed in black vs. grey for average rates).

If you are not seeing actual rates in the Sleep drawer make sure you have a stop selected (selected stop will be displayed in a green circle when the Sleep drawer is opened).

Also make sure your trip dates and the dates of a selected stop are in the future.

Furkot displays actual rates for a subset of booking services. It may be none of them have hotels in the area you are looking.

We are working with managers from all supported booking services to display actual rates. If you’d like to help us achieve that goal faster for your favorite booking service, you can contact their customer service and tell them that you’d like to see rates for their hotels in Furkot.

• Show more apartments and private rooms

I would like to see more choices for apartments and private rooms.
                        AirBnB and VRBO are my main go-to's for places to stay while on vacation.

5 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

We have added apartment and private rooms from the HomeAway family of websites (including VBRO) but unfortunately had to remove AirBnB and others because they terminated their affiliate programs and/or API access.

We are trying to re-establish access. It’ll help if users interested in seeing places from AirBnB (or others) in Furkot contacted them with this suggestion.

Furkot displays AirBnB properties on the map in addition to Roomorama and more traditional Bed-and-Breakfast.com. You also have a link to HomeAway for more options at the bottom of the Sleep drawer in the ‘Apartments and private rooms’ section.

We’ll add properties from HouseTrip shortly.

We are also working with HomeAway Developer’s Platform to display HomeAway and VRBO properties on the map and in the Sleep drawer.

FlipKey is another service we partnered with and are working to integrate.

If you would like to see apartments and private rooms from yet another…

• Will you be adding the abilty to export trips to Outlook Calendar?

I use your site to plan my road trips for work, but would also like to have it uploaded to my calendar so I have a history of my sales calls in outlook, where I track and keep notes.
                          As well, the ability to copy and create multiple trip from past trips would be great.

5 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Current version of Furkot allows downloading iCalendar (.ics) files.
                            At the moment we only support download + import model – most Calendar applications allow for importing .ics file, which adds events to your calendar. You need to re-export your file if something changes.
                            In future we will also add ‘Subscribe to trip Calendar’ option. You will be able to copy and paste URL that your Calendar application can use to stay in sync with trip changes.
                            To export .ics file click on the Export button in the Trip drawer
                            Let us know how it works for you. Thanks.

issues and ideas

Feedback and Knowledge Base